December 4, 2006 WIC Update
SUBJECT 1: 2007 Client Services Enhancement Project (Attachments Application, A, B, C)
SUBJECT 2: Formula Approvals December 14, 2006
SUBJECT 3: Program for Dietetic Interns (PDI)
SUBJECT 4: Birth Defects Prevention Month Information Packet
SUBJECT 5: Translated Versions of the Weight Gain During Pregnancy Brochure
- 2007 Client Services Enhancement Project is your opportunity to apply for WIC Program enhancement funding for 2007. WIC has applied for $950,000, in funds from USDA, which are expected to be available sometime after the first of the year. These funds must be expended by September 30, 2007. Please find attached the general guidelines for funding, as well as Attachment A: Project Application, Attachment B: Project Budget, and Attachment C: Evaluation. Applications are due by COB January 3, 2007. Contact Kathleen Davis at Kathleen.Davis@health.mo.gov with any questions.
- Formula Approvals December 14, 2006 - State WIC nutritionists who normally approve formula that require state approval will be out of the office on Thursday, December 14th. On this date the LWP Nutritionist or Registered Dietitian (RD) has permission to approve the formula for 1 month only; in cases where the LWP does not have a nutritionist or RD on staff, the CPA may then approve the formula for 1 month only. They should follow up with a phone call at 1-800-392-8209 or email message to Michele Bailey at email@example.com by Friday, December 15th.
- Program for Dietetic Interns - This is a reminder that the Program for Dietetic Interns (PDI) is taking applications for the 2007-2008 class year. Up to four interns will be selected from the pre-select option, instead of only two as in previous years. This is advantageous for employees of LWPs who are eligible to participate in the pre-select option. As you may know, this year's four dietetic interns are all from LWPs. The deadline for the pre-select option is Dec. 31. There is no fee for those interns who, upon graduation, agree to enter into or resume employment with the LWP for a minimum of 18 months. A fee will apply to all other interns. Don't forget to use the "new" application form, which is required (see attached). The Dietetic Internship Recommendation form is also attached for your use. For more information, visit our website. If you have any questions, please contact Vicki Strickland at 1- 800-392-8209 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Birth Defects Prevention Month Information Packet: January is Missouri Birth Defects Prevention Month. In December, each local WIC provider will receive a packet containing Birth Defects Prevention brochures and a literature request form. The purpose is to increase awareness about birth defects, the nation’s leading cause of infant death and childhood disability. According to the Missouri Birth Defects Registry, about 5.9 % of all babies born in Missouri have one or more birth defects. While many birth defects cannot be predicted or prevented, the risk of neural tube defects, which affect the brain and spinal cord, can be reduced with folic acid, a B vitamin. When taken before pregnancy preconceptually and in the early weeks of pregnancy, folic acid can prevent 50 to 70 % of neural tube defects, the most common being spina bifida. Since neural tube defects develop during the first month of pregnancy, before most women know they are pregnant, and since 50 percent of pregnancies in the United States are unplanned, it is recommended that all women of childbearing age take a multivitamin containing 400 micrograms of folic acid daily throughout life.
Additional information about birth defects prevention and folic acid consumption can be found on the DHSS web site or contact Leslie Seifert in the Bureau of Genetics and Healthy Childhood at 1-800-877-6246 or Leslie.Seifert@health.mo.gov. or Takako Tagami at 1-800-392-8209 or Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov
- Translated Versions of the Weight Gain During Pregnancy Brochure - The Weight Gain During Pregnancy Brochure has been translated into 10 languages. Translated versions are attached for your use. The Spanish version is currently being printed at the State Printing Center and will be stocked at the warehouse. The English version is already available at the warehouse. Please feel free to make copies of the others as needed. If you have any questions, please contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.
Enhancement Application Guidelines.doc
DHSS 2007 WIC CSEPA Attachment A.doc
DHSS 2007 CSEGPA Attachment B.xls
DHSS 2007 WIC CSEPA Attachment C.doc
Application - Dietetic Internship Program.doc
DI Recommendation Form.doc