December 26, 2006 WIC Update
SUBJECT 1: HANDS Help Desk Coverage - Effective immediately
SUBJECT 2: 2008 National WIC Association Calendar Art Competition (PDF Attached)
SUBJECT 3: Guidelines for Nutrition Education and Coding ER# 2.06100
SUBJECT 4: Nutritionist Staffing in LWPs
SUBJECT 5: Program Updates Training March 2007 - St. Charles/St. Louis Training Site Location
SUBJECT 6: Champions for Healthy Kids Grants - American Dietetic Association Foundation
SUBJECT 7: Revised Local WIC Provider Supply Request Form (WIC 8)
SUBJECT 8: Opportunity To Review The New High Risk Care Plan Form (WIC 55)
- HANDS Help Desk Coverage: Effective immediately, the WIC State Office will provide HANDS Help Desk coverage during the lunch hour, 12:00-1:00. If you have questions, please contact Mark Davis at firstname.lastname@example.org or 800-392-8209 or 573-526-5323.
- 2008 National WIC Association Calendar Art Competition: Back by popular demand, the National WIC Association (NWA) is holding a Children's Art competition for its 2008 Nutrition Education Calendar. NWA has asked that you please encourage the WIC kids you serve to submit drawings according to the monthly calendar themes outlined on the attachment. Your agency could win a $500 gift certificate with that artwork.
Details at: http://www.paramountcommunication.com/nwica/08_Call_for_Entries_12-8-06.pdf
Contact the National WIC Association national office at (202) 232-5492 for more details.
- Guidelines for Nutrition Education and Coding ER # 2.06100: In response to questions received from local WIC providers regarding requirements for follow-up nutrition education, the following clarification of ER # 2.06100, Guidelines for Nutrition Education and Coding, which was distributed at the August 2006 Program Update Training is provided. Procedure “J. Follow-up should be provided to find out how the participant has addressed a nutrition issue, however, follow-up should not replace a nutrition education contact/intervention to address other nutrition issues.”
Nutrition follow-up should ideally occur within the 6-month certification period (best practice) but shall occur within one year or two certification periods or prior to the participant's change in categorical status. Examples:
- Agencies with long term Fit WIC MO goals for children may determine the goal in consultation with the parent at certification, offer intervention activities in subsequent nutrition education contacts, then follow-up on progress at the next certification visit.
- A local agency may follow-up with a prenatal who is added to WIC in her 2nd month of pregnancy at any time during the certification period. However, follow-up will probably not be appropriate after her baby is delivered and she changes to postpartum status.
Please remember that follow-up is an essential component of WIC value enhanced nutrition services provided for the benefit of program participants. You may direct any questions about your agency’s clinic practices related to follow-up to the district nutritionist providing technical assistance in your area.
- Nutritionist Staffing in LWPs: Attached is a Dietitian/Nutritionist Questionnaire. We want the names of your staff that are nutritionists, registered dietitians, licensed dietitians and their RD and LD numbers. Please complete the form and return to email@example.com or by fax at 573-526-1470 by January 5, 2007. This information will help us review the level of staffing at the local agency in preparation for our Value Enhanced Nutrition Assessment (VENA) Implementation Plan. Please contact Phyllis Fuller if you have any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Program Updates Training March 2007 - St. Charles/St. Louis Training Site Location: Please note the location of the St.Louis/St. Charles area training site for the March Program Updates and the addition of a session on the WIC Data Marts. The St. Louis/St. Charles training will be at the St. Charles Community College, Student Center Room 206. The dining hall is located in the same building. You can view a map of the location at www.stchas.edu and clink on the link at the bottom of the site. The training will include an extensive discussion on the WIC Data Marts. Eventually all WIC reports will be available through the Data Marts including the ability to query your own agency data and run real time reports. This session will introduce local agency staff to the Data Marts and the process to access reports and agency specific data. We recommend bringing any staff that works with collecting, reviewing data specific to your local agency.
Mandatory March WIC Program Updates Training: The one-day sessions will provide attendees with updated program information and clarification regarding new program issues. The training will be delivered on-site at several locations and dates throughout the state. Training locations are listed below.
Agenda items include: USDA 3-digit risk factor codes, USDA Revision 8 Dietary Risk Factors, Nutrition Assessment, HANDS Nutrition Assessment Screens and Data Marts.
Time: 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Locations and Dates:
March 13, 2007 - Wild Pine Conference Room, 930 Wildwood, Jefferson City
March 15, 2007 - West Plains Civic Center, 110 St. Louis Street, West Plains
March 16, 2007 - Library Station, 2535 N Kansas Expressway, Springfield
March 20, 2007 - Northwest District Office, 3717 Whitney Ave., Independence
March 21, 2007 - St. Joseph/Buchanan Conference Room, 904 South 10th St., St. Joseph
March 22, 2007 - Northeastern District Office, 708 Patton, Macon
March 27, 2007 - St. Charles Community College (SCC), Student Center Room 206, St. Charles
March 28, 2007 - Southeastern District, 2875 James Blvd., Poplar Bluff
March 30, 2007 - WIC Nutrition Training Room, 930 Wildwood, Jefferson City
Please review agenda items to determine appropriate staff to attend. At a minimum the Nutrition Coordinator from each agency must attend the training. You may want to have your WIC clerk or WIC coordinator attend the afternoon session on Data Marts. The registration form is attached. Fax the registration form as instructed to the State WIC office by Wednesday, February 28, 2007. Please register using the attached form only.
If you have any questions please contact D'Anne Ward, Nutrition Trainer, at the State WIC office at (800) 392-8209 or by e-mail at Danne.Ward@health.mo.gov
- Champions for Healthy Kids Grants - American Dietetic Association Foundation: The American Dietetic Association Foundation is proud to announce that grant applications are now being accepted for the Champions for Healthy Kids Grants, a partnership of the General Mills Foundation, the American Dietetic Association Foundation and the President's Challenge. Fifty grants of $10,000 each will be made to schools, community groups and other non-profit organizations with innovative programs aimed at improving the nutrition and activity habits of young people. The involvement of a registered dietitian or dietetics technician, registered is a requirement for each program. The 2007 Champions for Healthy Kids grant application is available online at http://www.generalmills.com/corporate/commitment/champions.aspx. The application deadline is February 1, 2007; grants will be awarded in May 2007. If you have specific questions regarding this grants program, please contact Elisabeth Puga at the American Dietetic Association Foundation. Her contact information is below:
Elisabeth E. Puga
American Dietetic Association Foundation
120 South Riverside Plaza, Suite 2000
Chicago, IL 60606
- Revised Local WIC Provider Supply Request Form (WIC 8): The Local WIC Provider Supply Request Form has been revised. New pamphlets have been printed and are available at the DHSS warehouse. Please see the attached WIC 8 form and use it for ordering. If you have any questions, please contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.
- Opportunity to Review The New High Risk Care Plan Form: The State WIC office has developed a new High Risk Care Plan form (WIC 55). This new form is designed to document the high risk care plan for pregnant women, infants, and children. The following forms will be discontinued when they are depleted from the DHSS warehouse:
- High Risk Care Plan for Prenatal (WIC 53)
- High Risk Care Plan for Infants/Children (WIC 54)
Please review the attached draft WIC 55 form. If you have suggestions and/or comments, please indicate on the draft form and fax it to Takako Tagami at 573-526-1470 or email Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov by January 8, 2007.
MWA PDF for Calendar Contest
ER# 2.06100 NE Codes
Nutrition Staffing at LWPs rev
Training Registration Form Rev with St. Charles St.Lous
WIC-8 Supply Request
WIC 55 Form DRAFT