September 12, 2005 WIC Update
SUBJECT: Disaster Accommodations Frequently Asked Question (FAQs) & Tracking - Attachments #1 & 2
SUBJECT:The Role of Human Milk and Breastfeeding - Attachment #3
SUBJECT: WICNS Training Schedule January 1 - June 30, 2006 - Attachments #4 & 5
SUBJECT: Clarification of Prenatal Weight Gain Chart (PWGC)
SUBJECT: Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT)
SUBJECT: Influenza vaccinations for persons displaced by Katrina and living in crowded places
- The State WIC office is responding to questions we are receiving from the LWPs, and have compiled them into the attached Disaster Accommodations Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's) for your reference. We will add to the FAQs on a weekly basis as needed.
- Attached is a letter from Lawrence M.Gartner, Professional Advisory Board of La Leche League International regarding the role of human milk and breastfeeding.
- Attached is the WICNS Training Schedule for January 1 - June 30, 2006. Also attached is the form to register for the trainings.
- Clarification on questions and suggestions that have been raised regarding the Prenatal Weight Gain Chart (PWGC) is as follows.
On the text side of the chart under guidelines, #2, the HPA is included as being able to calculate the completed weeks gestation using the gestation (pregnancy) wheel.
On the text side of the chart under guidelines, #3, the number of pounds gained or lost from pregravid weight to date should be calculated.
A text box will be inserted along the side of the graph to indicate the recommended total weight gain for twins (same information as is in ER#2.03910). As was mentioned in a Monday email on 5/5/05, the multiple fetuses channel was remo ved. This was because the Institute of Medicine (IOM) does not include a reference for triplets or greater nor is there a nationally recognized recommendation at this time for upper limit for multiple gestations.
On the graph side of the chart, a text box will also be inserted at the bottom of the graph to indicate delivery date, birth weight and problems with previous pregnancies.
These changes will be made to the PWGC at the next re-printing (around January 2006).
As always, please feel free to provide suggestions or recommendations for changes to forms provided by the state WIC office.
- Payments to the Local WIC providers from DHSS will be through an Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) only, beginning October 1, 2005. If your agency has not filled out the necessary paperwork to have this take place please con tact Carol Steinman at email@example.com. or call 1-800-392-8209.
- Influenza vaccination is recommended for all people 6 months of age and older who have been displaced by hurricane Katrina and are living in crowded group settings. See http://www.bt.cdc.gov/disasters/hurricanes/katrina/vaccrecdisplaced.asp
Attachment #1 FAQ's
Attachment #2 WIC Disaster Accommodations - tracking form Sept 12 - 17
Attachment #3 Breastfeeding Letter
Attachment #4 WIC Training Schedule Janaury -06 thru June -06
Attachment #5 Registration Form - WIC Training