November 14, 2005 WIC Update
SUBJECT: Reminder - November 14, 2005 - New Formula Approval Process
SUBJECT: Revised WIC Training Registration Form and Training Schedule
SUBJECT: HANDS Training Clarification
SUBJECT: Printing of Forms
SUBJECT: Proxy Form Reminder
SUBJECT: Enfamil Gentlease LIPIL Availability
- Monday November 14, 2005 is the day the LWPs' nutritionist/Registered Dietitian/CPA is allowed to approve certain formulas. Please review your e-mail of October 17, 2005 for the details and revised Formula Reference Sheet.
- Revised WIC Training Registration Form - Attached is the revised WIC training registration form. This form now includes Track, HANDS, and HANDS refresher training registration information. Also attached is the training calendar for January 2006 through June 2006. Please contact the trainer listed on the schedule for any questions concerning a particular training. Please begin using the new registration form immediately.
- HANDS Training Clarification - There has been some confusion on who should and should not attend the regular 3-day HANDS training. HANDS training is only for those WIC employees who will be keying WIC health assessment, income, or other data into HANDS, or printing food instruments. If your agency is going direct entry, that does not necessarily mean that everyone in the agency must attend HANDS training. If an employee will not be using HANDS for any reason, they do not need to attend HANDS. If you have any questions about whether an employee needs to attend HANDS or not, please contact Melissa Seaver at 800-392-8209. Please refer to ER# 3.01500 in the current WOM & Resource Center for further information.
- One issue that came up at the Missouri WIC Association Meeting in October was that LWPs are printing forms for use during the certification process. Here are updates on the forms to be used for Direct Entry. The new forms in English and Spanish to be used for Direct Entry are being developed and will be available at the DHSS warehouse by early December. In addition, the master copies of translated Rights and Responsibilities for the WIC certification will be revised and mailed to LWPs. The WIC 1 and WIC 2 forms are available in the DHSS warehouse.
- Proxy Form Reminder - WIC Policy (ER# 3.03800 Section D. 4. b.) states the local WIC provider may develop a form to use instead of a participant's note. This optional LWP form compliments your required local proxy policy and can be as individual as your agency's policy. As has been stated before in many settings, by January 1, 2006 each agency will use the standard WIC forms. The optional proxy form is not considered a standard WIC form. Therefore you will be able to continue to use your current proxy form unless you had modified a standard WIC form such as the WIC-30 to accommodate proxies. In that case, you will need a new alternative.
For direct entry agencies one option is to copy the proxy form on the back of the HWPR form as you do with the Rights and Responsibilities. If you are not sure how to handle your particular situation contact Glenn Studebaker by e-mail at email@example.com or 1-800-392-8209 for technical assistance.
- The State WIC office has heard from some local WIC providers that the Mead Johnson formula Gentlease Lipil is not available at the WIC vendors. Before issuing the Gentlease Lipil, please contact vendors in your area to find out if it is available. We are awaiting communication from Mead Johnson Nutritionals in hopes of finding out how long this availability problem will last. We will notify the LWPs when we hear back from Mead Johnson.