June 13, 2005 WIC Update
SUBJECT: HANDS Training
SUBJECT: Educational Opportunity - Nutrition Training Institute August 4
SUBJECT: Local Agency Plan (LAP) Training - Have You Signed Up?
SUBJECT: Fit WIC
SUBJECT: Availability of Translated Rights and Responsibilities on PDF
- HANDS Trainings -Beginning with the June 2005 HANDS training, the start time on Day 1 has changed. HANDS class will now begin at 11a.m. on Wednesdays instead of 12:30 p.m. on Wednesdays. This change is necessary due to additional agenda items.
- The Nutrition Training Institute, WICNS Unit, is offering a training on child nutrition issues on August 4 in Jefferson City. The goal of the program is to identify early nutrition concerns in children, and to implement strategies to foster healthy outcomes. Jamie Stang, PhD, MPH, RD, renown child nutrition expert, will be the presenter. This will be an interesting and information filled session that you won't want to miss. See attached brochure for additional information
- FFY06 LAP Training- Are you signed up?
Time: 9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. (One-hour lunch break)
Dates & Locations:
7/18 & 27 Central District (WIC training facility): WIC Nutrition Training Room, 930 Wildwood, Jefferson City
7/29 Eastern District: 220 South Jefferson, St. Louis
7/1 Northeast District: 708 Patton, Macon (6/30 is full)
7/6 & 7/7 Northwest District:3717 Whitney Ave., Independence
7/25 & 26 Southeast District: 2875 James Blvd., Poplar Bluff
7/19 & 20 Southwest District: 1414 West Elfindale, Springfield
This year's LAP training is mandatory and registration forms are due by June 15, 2005. Please read the following and reply with the attached LAP training registration form.
The Missouri WIC Program is providing LAP Preparation Training for all Local WIC Providers. The one-day sessions will provide attendees with updated information about using current reports and data to correctly fill out a newly revised LAP tool. Special attention will be paid to setting appropriate goals and objectives for the next five years.
The training will be hands on and delivered in person to facilitate the answering of specific questions your agency may have about your particular LAP. Our sessions in the district offices will depend on trainees from each agency sharing a laptop computer. We currently have six available computer laptops for each of these trainings; we do not have enough for everyone. We know that many of you have laptops available as well. If you have a laptop available to use for this training, mark this on the registration form and please bring your computer laptop with you. Contact us if you have any questions about if your laptop will work.
We will have sessions at each of the district health offices as well as here in Jefferson City throughout the month of July. Space and our laptops are limited at each site, so fax or e-mail your registration to the State WIC office as soon as possible. Due to limited space we ask only two people from each agency attend. We suggest you send the person primarily responsible for the budget sections and the primary person responsible for filling in the nutrition sections. The June 30 session scheduled in the Northeast District is full and others are filling quickly.
Please register using the attached LAP Training Registration form only. If questions, please reply to Glenn Studebaker, Technical Assistance Coordinator, at the State WIC office at (800) 392-8209 or by e-mail at Glenn.Studebaker@health.mo.gov.
- Fit WIC has some good information/ideas that may be useful while developing the 2006 LAP. The material can be found at: USDA WIC Works Resource System, then click on 'Fit WIC'.
- The translated Rights and Responsibilities on PDF are available for the following languages:
- Bosnian Chinese
Attached is the English version of the Rights and Responsibilities. If you would like to have the PDFs, please e-mail Linda Pace at Linda.Pace@health.mo.gov by indicating which languages your agency is requesting.