January 24, 2005 WIC Update
SUBJECT: E-mail from State WIC Office Week of January 24 - 28, 2005
- National WIC Association (NWA) Annual Conference, St. Louis, May 22-25, 2005: The 2005 NWA Annual Conference is fast approaching. Don't miss this exciting opportunity to hear the latest information and network with fed eral officials and state/local WIC staff from around the country. Join us in St. Louis, enhance your professional skills, and experience WIC - Blazing New Trails for Healthy Families! Attached is the final conference program and registrati on form. Register by April 1, 2005 and save! If your agency is not a NWA member or has not renewed membership for 2005, you can submit your application now and immediately benefit from the lower conference registration fee for membe rs. A copy of the NWA member application/renewal and contact update forms are attached for your convenience. You can register for the conference and reserve your hotel room(s) on-line at www. nwa2005.com. If you have any questions, please contact our conference manager at 1-888-310-8900 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The State WIC office has received questions about the Cost Containment Phase II that was sent to the LWPs on Tuesday, January 18. We will respond to these via a list of Questions and Answers (Q and As) during the week of Janu ary 24 - 28.
- USDA has launched WIC Learning On-Line (WLOL), a web-based course which provides continuing education, training and resources for all levels of State and Local WIC staff. The course is self-paced, user-friendly and repeatable, at no cost to WIC agencies. There are 4 lessons, comprised of 12 learning modules, to enhance staff job skills and update staff knowledge to help better serve WIC participants. Each learning module is designed to be completed in less than 30 minutes. Once a user has successfully completed the assessments at the end of each lesson with a score of 70 percent or better, a personalized certificate of completion may be printed. Please maintain a copy of the certificate in the empl oyee's file. This course does not take the place of required state WIC trainings.
There are several user friendly features such as an online tutorial and printable quick start guide, self registration system, tracking system to track and monitor progress, bookmark feature to re-enter the course at the same point at which you stopped, and job aids that can be printed for use in clinic or in-service training. The course can also be downloaded to allow you to complete when you are not connected to the network.
The lesson topics and modules that make up the content of the course are as follows:
- Communicating with Participants (Providing Quality Customer Service, Communicating with Low Literacy Audiences, Working in a Multicultural Environment)
- Counseling Skills (Using Facilitated Discussion, Introducing Motivational Interviewing, Applying Motivational Interviewing)
- Reaching Participants through WIC (Getting the Word Out: Program Outreach, Connecting Participants with Support Services, Making Nutrition Education Fun and Attractive)
- Health and Nutrition (Feeding Infants and Children Safely, Herbs and Supplements: What You Should Know, Breastfeeding Promotion and Support)
To access "WIC Learning On-Line", go to http://www.nal.usda.gov/wicworks/WIC_Learning_Online/index.html.
- The State WIC office tracks formulas that LWPs have on hand that were not used by a participant. Please contact D'Anne Ward, 1-800-392-8209 if your agency has any extra exempt formulas that your agency cannot use. Other LWPs may have a need for it for one of their participants.
Have a great week.
05 Local Agency Application Renewal.doc
Conference Brochure (final 1-14-05).doc
Copy of 05 Local Agency Application Renewal.doc
Copy of Conference Brochure (final 1-14-05).doc
NWA CONTACT UPDATE FORM Locals.doc
2nd Phase Poster Food List Changes FINAL.doc
Acknowledgement of Correspondence for Cost Containment.doc
Cost Containment Letter Final 1-20-05.doc
Food List Spanish To LWPs 1-24-05.doc
Q and As - Cost Containment Phase II.doc
Revised Food List Spanish Revised 1-20-05.doc
Revised Food List English 1-18-05.doc
Revised Food List Spanish 1-24-05.doc
WOM ER #2.06600.doc
WOM ER# 2.06700.doc