Disease Control / Prevention
Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
Missouri Specific Information
- DHSS Guidelines for Allergy Prevention and Response
- School Staff Training on Allergy Prevention and Response - Allergy PowerPoint
- Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) Allergy Policy
- DESE Food Allergy Information
- Physician Statement for Special Dietary Needs in Schools
Missouri State Laws regarding Allergies
- Section 167.208, RSMo, requires each school district to adopt a policy on allergy prevention and response with priority given to addressing potentially deadly food-borne allergies; the policy and procedure must be in place by July 1, 2011.
- Section 167.627, RSMo, addresses possession and self-administration of medications in school.
- Section 167.621, RSMo, addresses the authorization of medications in schools. Persons providing health services under sections 167.600 to 167.621 shall obtain authorization from a parent or guardian of the child before providing services as provided by section 431.061, RSMo.
- Section 167.630, RSMo, addresses the ability to obtain and maintain an adequate supply of epinephrine pre-filled auto syringes for emergency use by school nurses.
- USDA Accommodation Requirements
- CDC Voluntary Guidelines for Managing Food Allergies In Schools and Early Care and Education Programs
- Food Allergy Research and Education (FARE)
- Order Free Epipen/EpiPen JR for your school
- AllergyHome - Food Allergy Tools for Schools
- American Academy of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology (AAAAI)
- Epi-Pen Video Demonstration
- School Staff Food Allergy Training Websites:
- AllergyHome.org Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis in School
What School Staff Need to Know: A 30-minute PowerPoint with voice-over instruction for training all school staff with a post-test online
- Association of School Nurses (NASN) Get Trained Program
A PowerPoint Presentation with instruction on how to administer epinephrine auto-injector for school staff. Includes handouts and teaching tools.
- Food Allergy Management Education (FAME) Toolkit
A comprehensive food allergy toolkit with role specific checklists and information handouts for all school staff.
- AllergyHome.org Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis in School
- DHSS Asthma Site and Links
- DHSS Missouri School Asthma Manual
- Back to School Checklist for Children with Asthma
- CDC How to Use Your Asthma Inhaler Videos
- CDC Strategies for Addressing Asthma within a Coordinated School Health Program
- EPA Asthma in Schools
Autism Spectrum Disorder
Missouri State Laws regarding Diabetes
- HB0675T Diabetes House Bill
- Section 161.450.1, RSMoThis section shall be known as "Cade's Law". The department of elementary and secondary education shall develop and adopt rules relating to a physical fitness challenge for elementary-, middle-, and high school-level students. The challenge shall include, but not be limited to, elements that address physical conditioning, flexibility, strength, and aerobic capacity and shall recognize individual, team, and school-wide performance.
- Section 167.803, RSMo Training of school employees, content, requirements.
- Section 167.806, RSMo Plan to be submitted by parent or guardian of student with diabetes--review by school.
- Section 167.809.1, RSMO Diabetic care may be provided to students, when, trained personnel to be on site.
- Section 167.812.1, RSMo Diabetic care not practice of nursing, when--health care professionals may provide training.
- Section 167.818, RSMo Student may perform certain diabetic care for self.
- Section 167.821, RSMo Immunity from liability.
- Section 167.824.1, RSMo Rulemaking authority.
- Diabetes Medical Management Plan (DMMP)
- Diabetes School Health Resource - National Association of Chronic Disease Directors
- Administering Glucagon Video
- Safe at School Campaign
- Guidelines for Diabetes Care in Schools and Daycares
- Helping the Student with Diabetes Succeed: A Guide for School Personnel
- Trained Diabetes Personnel in Missouri Schools (Cade’s Law)-Webinar
- Diastat AcuDial Administration Instructions
- Diastat Administration Video
- CDC Epilepsy FAQs
- CDC’s Epilepsy Training for Students, Teachers, and Nurses
- Epilepsy Across the Spectrum: Promoting Health and Understanding
- DHSS Influenza Site and Links
- CDC Key Points on Influenza Vaccine Effectiveness
- CDC Seasonal Flu Recommendations - (Spanish Version)
- CDC Information for Schools and Childcare Providers
- CDC “Take 3” - Actions to Fight the Flu
DHSS Head Lice Documents
- Head Lice Guidelines
- Management Flowchart
- Treatment Guidelines
- Sample Parent Letter
- Managing Head lice in the School Setting - PowerPoint
- DHSS Heart Disease Site and Links
- Missouri Statute regarding AEDs
- Section 190.092, RSMo, Defibrillators, use authorized when, conditions, notice--good faith immunity from civil liability, when.
- AHA Article: School Nurses Play a Key Role in Preventing Heart Disease in Children
- DHSS HIV/AIDs Site and Links
- DHSS Sites and Links for Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C
- CDC STD Prevention new
- CDC Viral Hepatitis Site new
- National HIV/AIDS Hotline: 1-800-628-9240
- National Hepatitis Hotline: 1-800-232-4636
- General Info: 1-800-CDC-INFO
- Hepatitis and Tattoos
- DHSS Hypothermia
- DHSS Warming Centers Map
- CDC’s Winter Weather Site
- DHSS Hyperthermia
- DHSS Cooling Centers Map
- CDC’s Extreme Heat Site
- DHSS Immunizations Site and Links
- Immunization Materials Order Form
- CDC’s (For Parents: Vaccines for Your Children)
- Immunizations A-Z
- Immunization Schedules
- Day Care Immunization Requirements
- School Immunization Requirements
- Manual for the Surveillance of Vaccine - Preventable Diseases (5th Ed., 2012 & 6th Ed., 2013)
- Missouri Department of Mental Health Site
- CDC Mental Health Information
- CDC’s Children’s Mental Health - New Report
US Dept. of Education
- Suicide Prevention Lines
- After a Suicide: Toolkit for Schools
- Suicide Prevention Publications-National Institute of Mental Health
- Suicide Prevention Resource Center
- Well Aware
Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus (MRSA)
- DHSS MRSA Information for Schools
- CDC Sites and Links
- DHSS Sickle Cell Site and Links
- CDC Sickle Cell Disease Site
- CDC Sickle Cell Disease Education and Awareness in Your Community Video
- DHSS Tobacco Site and Links
- DHSS Smoking Site and Links
- CDC Youth Tobacco Prevention Site and Links
- Smoke Busters
- Campaign for Tobacco Free Kids