From 4 to 8 Months - Hearing and Speech
From 4 to 8 months of age, check to see if your baby does most of the things listed below. By 5 to 7 months of age, babies are actively enjoying the pleasure of babbling to themselves and to you.
- Responds to mother's voice.
- Enjoys rattles and other sound-making toys.
- Begins to turn head toward sounds that are out of sight.
- Is startled or awakened by loud noise
- Laughs out loud.
- Around 7 to 8 months, begins to babble using repeated syllables such as ba-ba-ba, pa-pa-pa, da-da-da.
- Makes noises to herself when playing.
If you suspect a hearing or speech problem ask to be referred to a licensed audiologist who has experience in testing for hearing loss in babies.