April 10, 2014
Rural Research Highlights
- Widening Rural–Urban Disparities in Life Expectancy, U.S., 1969–2009
This study by HRSA’s Maternal and Child Health Bureau examines the trends in life expectancy disparities between rural and urban areas in the United States between 1969 and 2009. The article finds that the disparity has increased since 1990, because life expectancy has grown more rapidly in urban than in rural areas. The disparity in life expectancy of urban over rural areas stood at 2.4 years during 2005-2009. Furthermore, the study’s findings indicate that mortality from cardiovascular diseases, injuries, lung cancer, and COPD is much higher in rural than in urban areas.
- Nursing in 3D: Workforce Diversity, Health Disparities, and Social Determinants of HealthThis special report explores the intersecting goals of increased workforce diversity, fair and equal access to quality health care and health care resources, elimination of health disparities, and achieving health equity. In August 2012, HRSA hosted a summit titled, “Nursing in 3D: Workforce Diversity, Health Disparities, and Social Determinants of Health.” This resulting special supplement includes 11 articles authored by 3D Summit speakers who are content experts in the fields of nursing workforce diversity, health disparities, and the social determinants of health.
More recent rural research can be found on http://www.ruralhealthresearch.org/.
March 24, 2014
Epi Grand Rounds: Health in Rural Missouri
Learn about key findings from the 2012-2013 Health in Rural Missouri Biennial Report, including why rural Missourians tend to be less healthy than urban Missourians and recommendations for addressing these challenges.
Monday, March 24 from 1:30 to 3:00 p.m., Birch Conference Room, 930 Wildwood, Jefferson City or via webinar format
Andrew Hunter, Chief, Bureau of Health Care Analysis and Data Dissemination
Becca Mickels, Research Analyst IV, Bureau of Health Care Analysis and Data Dissemination
Melissa VanDyne, Rural Health Manager, Office of Primary Care and Rural Health
To participate via webinar format (click the below link, and register as guest):
No registration required!
February 6, 2014
You’re invited to participate in Rural Mental Health & Substance Abuse Toolkit webinar on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 at 2:00pm (Eastern).
Objectives of the webinar:
- Identify evidence and promising models that improve access to mental health and substance abuse resources in rural communities.
- Discuss setting specific models for communities, schools, and health care settings.
- Describe lessons learned from effective mental health and substance abuse program planning, implementation, and evaluation.
How to Register –
- Go to – https://nosorh.webex.com/nosorh/onstage/g.php?t=a&d=664648337
- Click Register.
- On the registration form, enter your information and then click Submit.
This call will be recorded and the viewable recording will be available on the NOSORH website – http://www.nosorh.org/news/webinars.php