VA wants all Veterans to get health care that improves their health and well-being.
If a Veteran is enrolled in any of VA’s programs below, they have coverage under the standards of the health care law:
- Veteran’s health care program
- Civilian Health and Medical program (CHAMPVA)
- Spina bifida health care program
At a glance
• If a Veteran is enrolled in VA health care, they do not need to take additional steps to meet the health care law coverage standards.
• The health care law does not change VA health benefits or Veterans’ out-of-pocket costs.
• If a Veteran is not enrolled in VA health care, they can apply at any time by visiting http://www.va.gov/healthbenefits/enroll, calling 1-877-222-VETS (8387), or visiting their local VA health care facility (see the interactive VA Locations map).
If family members of a covered Veteran do not have coverage under the standards of the health care law, they should visit the Health Insurance Marketplace at www.healthcare.gov. Specific plans and prices will be available October 1, 2013.